To our friends in East Peoria, Pekin and Washington:
Our thoughts are with you as you deal with the aftermath of the storms. The sense of community and the overwhelming amount of help and assistance truly symbolize the "Heart of Illinois".
As the work of rebuilding begins, Millworks would like to pass along some important information published by the Home Builders Association of Greater Peoria. These tips are important to keep in mind for homeowners protection.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Watch for contractors who ask for full payment before the job starts or payment of cash to a salesperson instead of waiting for payment by check or after settlements have been received by the homeowner from insurance.
- Be wary of special low prices, good only today, claims that they chose your area specifically to help or that your neighbors are already on board to pressure you into signing on.
- Verify the business address of a contractor through local resources.
- Ask for references of previous customers and CHECK THEM OUT.
- A written agreement should be put together between the homeowner and contractor with details of amounts due as a deposit on the work, the final price of the job and a detailed description of the work to be done. A time frame for the work to be done is also important.
- Don't let stressful feelings about the disaster cause you to make a hurried or uninformed decision.
Visit the Home Builders Association of Greater Peoria for more information.